During the technical talk that took place on 7 February at the KwaZulu-Natal South African Institute of Refrigeration and Air Conditioning (SAIRAC), the guest speaker spoke about all things CO2 and the potential of this natural refrigerant.
Marius La Grange spoke on CO2.
The monthly technical talk was presented by Marius Le Grange of Energy Partners Refrigeration Solutions, who is the current SAIRAC national president.
The talk was very well attended and, according to SAIRAC, the members found it very informative.
The talk was very well attended by SAIRAC KZN members and guests.
La Grange discussed the following:
- CO2 as refrigerant
- CO2 applications
- Global warming potential (GWP)
- Ozone depleting potential (ODP)
- GWP and ODP scoring system
- Comparison of a few commonly used refrigerants
- Chlorine in the stratosphere
- Damage to ozone layer
- Life cycle climate performance (LCCP)
- Vapor compression
- Precipitating compressors – belt driven
- Hermetic compressors – water cooled condensing – limited potential leaking
- What isCO2 ?
- Refrigerant main industry demands
- CO2 air-conditioning systems
- Low critical point ofCO2
- CO2 compared to others
- Refrigerant pressure vs temperature state
- CO2 in shipping containers, vending machines
- CO2 safety considerations
- Plant room safety
- CO2 sensors
- CO2 as refrigeration introduction applications
- Installation guidelines
- CO2 start up, charging and servicing
- Cascade systems
- Sub-critical operation
- Trans-critical operation